Maryland HQL Requirements
The following individuals DO NOT need a Maryland HQL in order to purchase a handgun:
- A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
- Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
- Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
- A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
- Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)
The following individuals must have an HQL in order to purchase a handgun, but, DO NOT need to complete a TRAINING COURSE in order to obtain an HQL.
- Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
- Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
- Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
- Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
- Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
- Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
In accordance with the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, individuals who are voluntarily admitted to an inpatient psychiatric facility (either state, private or acute general), for a period of 30 consecutive days or more, or involuntarily certified and retained by an Administrative Law Judge may have to surrender their firearms and will be prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm unless an individual is granted relief from firearm disqualification. MDH makes available to persons who are prohibited from possessing certain firearms a process to apply for relief from these prohibitions.
Medical Marijuana Users & MMC Card Holders
Under Federal Law, Medical Marijuana Users, MMC Card Holders & Users of other Unlawful Substances are not legally permitted to purchase or possess firearms. If you are addicted to or a user of Marijuana or Any Other Substances, DO NOT register for this class! YOU WILL BE DENIED BY MARYLAND STATE POLICE FOR AN HQL. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to verify his/her legal standing in order to obtain their HQL or any firearm. If you register for a class and have a Medical Marijuana Card, DS Gunworks LLC WILL NOT provide or furnish any type of refund, period.